Getting pregnant is becoming harder these days and this is only because of the lifestyle people are getting habitual to. Can smoking hurt your sperm? Yes. Can smoking hurt the lining of the womb? Totally.
It has been found by numerous studies that if the partner or both of the couples smoke regularly, there is a high chance that it will take longer for the female to get pregnant. However, non-smokers on the other hand experience quick pregnancy without any problems, assuming they maintain a healthy lifestyle.
If we look at a study carried out by C Augood, K Duckitt, and A A Templeton, they found that “The high prevalence of smoking among women in their reproductive years continues to be a matter of concern. The negative effects of smoking on general health are well known, but smoking may also affect fertility.”
Male smoking has been linked to lower IVF success rates and possibly higher miscarriage rates. The female partner’s fertility can also be negatively affected by passive smoking. Let’s take a look at how smoking affects the fertility of both males and females.
Smoking’s Effect on Sperm and Semen Quality
Smoking has been linked to sperm DNA damage, according to research. Some evidence also suggests that men who produce high levels of sperms with DNA damage are less likely to be fertile and more likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction.
Related: How You Can Read a Sperm Analysis Report in an Easy Way?
Our male infertility doctors also claim that men who smoke suffer from a 23% decrease in sperm concentration. For the uninformed, sperm concentration is the quantity of sperm found in a measured quantity of semen.
Impact Of Smoking On Female Fertility
Smoking causes problems like blocked fallopian tubes and ectopic pregnancy in females.
Smoking also harms the developing ovaries causing unhealthy implantation and resulting in miscarriage. Not only this, it can put you to risk of cervical cancer.
It is important to note that babies of non-smokers are healthier than babies of couples who smoke. As it has been found that partners who smoke bring their children at risk of having more congenital defects.
How long does it take for male and female fertility to improve after quitting smoking?
Generally, it takes 3 months for fertility to improve in both men and women after quitting smoking. However, the recovery of ovarian reserve in females and the quality of sperms in males depend from person to person.
Furthermore, quitting the habit of smoking not only improves the chances of natural conception but also enhances the chances of IVF success if you are undergoing an IVF treatment.
Common Myths And Facts About Smoking And Infertility
Some people think that after they will get pregnant they will quit smoking for their child’s betterment.
However, what they don’t know is that it is better to quit smoking as soon as you plan your pregnancy. But why? The reason is that 70% of smokers are more likely to suffer from infertility, on the other hand, the 30% who get pregnant carry their unborn child at risk of birth abnormalities.
Related: Things to consider before starting your IVF Journey
If you are reading this then there is a high probability that might think that “Okay, I’ll leave smoking but I can try Vape as an alternative as it is safe.”
The answer is, No. Vaping or any kind of e-cigarettes are not safe as they contain the same amounts of harmful chemicals that make you an addict and can harm your gametes quality.
Effects Of Smoking On Your Newborn Baby
Premature birth or developmental issues in the baby can occur in some cases even after discontinuing smoking if a woman has been a regular smoker for a long time. There is strong evidence to suggest that men whose mothers smoked during pregnancy or were smokers have low sperm counts.
When it comes to medical issues like obesity and cardiovascular disease in children, the odds are stacked against them. SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) is also common in children whose parents smoke.
Final Word From Ferticity Fertility Clinics
If you ask us, “I may already be pregnant so is it too late to quit?” Then here is what our doctors recommend.
No, you are not too late to kick the habit off. Always remember that it’s never too late to start.
Every additional day that your baby is not exposed to the toxins in cigarette smoke will have a significant positive impact on your health during and after your pregnancy.
So stop smoking right now and experience the parenthood you always dreamt of.
Ferticity Fertility Clinics, one of the best IVF centres in Delhi, provides infertility therapy for both men and women, and we can help you get pregnant.
If you want to get pregnant, it’s best if you first quit smoking. You may also rely on our most distinguished IVF and fertility professionals to help you out in any case. To book an appointment call us at +91 9910 1206 74 right now.